The Rockford Park District employs nearly 250 lifeguards each summer at its four aquatic facilities: Alpine Park Pool, Harkins Aquatic Center, Magic Waters Waterpark, and Sand Park Family Aquatic Center.
Lifeguard Qualifications & Training
Your Lifeguard License
- Age 16 or older
- Able to swim 200 yards without stopping
- Tread water for 2 minutes without using hands
- Retrieve 10-lb brick from bottom of 12-ft pool
- Able to work 32 hours minimum per week
- Able to work evenings, holidays, and weekends
- Complete a lifeguard certification course (there are 5 weekend courses offered March through May)
You will be trained through the International Lifeguard Training Program created by Jeff Ellis & Associates. This program is internationally recognized as an industry leader in lifeguard training.